When a child is born in the Indian family is like festival environment, family members are enjoying and celebrating. But in nuclear family , parents are only to take care of the baby. In ancient times , babies were brought up in joint family under canopy of grandparents. In the physical development of baby the baby massage is important as for sleeping the swaddling is important.
Swaddling is a method for wrapping a baby in a thin blanket .It’s main advantage is to give a baby a sense of comfort ,warmth and belongness. To know more of swaddling process, benefits and detailed insights take a glance at the article.
Importance Of Swaddling A Newborn Baby
- A swaddle helps a baby feel safe and secure as the baby adjusts to life outside the womb.
- Helps baby to prevent falling arms and legs, which can trigger baby and potentially cause baby to wake up.
- Keeps baby cozy and warm until their internal thermostat kicks into gear.
- Keep newborn babies warm when they are sleeping.
- Comforting newborn baby during situation like irritation, vaccination
- Giving sense or feeling to baby like mother womb by swaddling a baby.
- Help newborn babies to sleep at night comfortably without any disturbance.
- It helps your baby to keep calm and comfortable .
- Helps to regulate the body temperature of a newborn baby.
- Act as a therapeutic agent when a baby is suffering from a colic situation.
- Swaddling keeps the baby excited, happy and comfortable the whole day.
- Swaddling avoids the risk of Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
What Is the Correct Process To Do Swaddling In Efficient Way?
- Spread a cloth or blanket flat on a table, bed and fold over one of the corners.
- Lay down the newborn baby on the blanket with his or her head on the folded corner.
- Wrap the blanket right corner over the newborn baby with thei right arm straight down side and tuck the corner of cloth underneath the baby's body.
- Bring the bottom corner of the cloth up over the baby's body.
- Wrap left corner over the baby with left arm straight and down by bodyside, leaving head and neck portion.
- At last , ensure blanket is not too tight around the leg and hips area and the lower body can still move .
- Wrapping a newborn baby tightly in a swaddle can lead to hip dislocation also, perform all steps correctly to avoid this situation.
Different Methods To Perform Swaddling Technique ?
It is considered the easiest and simplest swaddling technique. The DUDU stands for down -up- down-up.
First D- Down
Place a blanket on bed , and orient it in a diamond shape. The top corner of the blanket should meet the center of the blanket. Place the newborn baby on a blanket, neck right above the top corner.
Hold the right arm against his/ her side, grab the blanket about four inches from the right shoulder. Then, tuck the blanket under the baby's body.
First U- Up
Hold the left arm against the baby body side, bring the cloth at the bottom of the blanket straight up, and place it over the newborn baby's shoulder. Tuck the blanket on the left arm of baby
Hold the blanket just a few inches from the left shoulder and put it down. Make a small flap around the upper chest to form a v shaped neck.
Last U -Up
Grab the blanket on the chest, hold the last blanket corner and pull it straight out. Lift that corner up and straight across the baby's forearms just like wearing a belt.
- Put the blanket of 43*43 inches approximate on a flat surface and ensure that it is large enough to cover the baby’s whole body .
- Fold one corner down about 4 inches.
- Place the baby with the top line of the diamond shape just above their neck.
- Leave the baby arms out and tuck the swaddle underneath baby armpits
- Take the right side of the blanket corner across their body and tuck underneath the baby's left side.
- Fold the bottom of the blanket upwards towards the baby’s head and tuck into the top right side of the fold.
- At last, from the left side corner ,wrap it across the baby's body and tuck underneath on the right-hand side of the baby.
The swaddling technique is very beneficial for new born babies to give them a sense of comfort and help them to have a soundful sleep. During swaddling only the neck and limbs are out and the whole body is tight together with a piece of cloth. This technique also increases blood circulation in the newborn baby. Manly swelling techniques are performed in two ways that is burrito Wrap and DUDU method. The importance of swelling technique is explained in detail. Go through the entire article before you start your swaddling journey with your newborn baby.